Thursday, August 28, 2008

Your Good Does Not Equal My Good: The Music Video Graphics Edition

So yesterday I was at a listening for Kardinal Offishall (Album is fire, if they work it right - meaning put together a dope video for "Numba 1/Tide is High" with Rihanna - it should a be a smash... "Bad Like We Bad" is my current anthem) anyway so somebody walked in the studio like "Yo that T-Pain video for 'Can't Believe It' is incredible. Just off the graphics alone!!!". Of course I said nothing out loud, but silently I was scratching my head.

This is the video he was talking about:



Granted the YouTube quality isn't the best, but when I see this video I really just think it's a prime example of a good idea that just didn't translate into the final product. Maybe I'm being too critical. Iono.

Just to show you an idea of what I think are good graphics in a music video I'm posting a few vids I actually dig enough to consider them artwork.

Let's start with the homie Opio of Hieroglyphics fame.

"Some Superfly Shit"



Then move onto Solange's "I Decided"




Kanye's "Stronger" was way more effective use of a green screen.




Am I asking for too much here? I just want some good use of effects, decent color choices and movement that makes sense. Oh I just thought of another great one.



And granted, this one is kind of silly too but appropriately so. If you're gonna use a green screen, do it properlike mane.

No comments: