Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Books I Loved & Movies I Hope To Like



Growing up in Iowa I was on constant lookout for anything remotely related to black culture, latino culture, hip-hop, graffiti, gang culture -- you get the idea. So when I got my hands on Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member by Sanyika Shakur I literally devoured it. If you haven't read it before I HIGHLY suggest you give it a shot. It's good stuff - very well told and honest without glorifying gang life.

I'm extra happy to hear someone finally had the good sense to make it into a film. The site isn't really fully up yet but here's a link to stay aware about it: http://www.cantstopwontstopthemovie.com/

Another one I need to see (actually in theatres right now) is Blindness, which was adapted from the Jose Saramago novel of the same name. A friend of mine saw it already but didn't read the book so he thought the rape scene was gratuitous, but it's actually pretty pivotal in the book so I suggest if you are gonna watch the movie, get some learning on and read the book too!


No comments: