Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Confessions of an Artsy Chick


My senior year I took a Fine Arts field study -- and in the same way that you sometimes accidentally fall in love with another human being, art hit me over the head and broke me so wide open that I am now stuck for life. It was totally supposed to be a throwaway elective but I graduated regretting not only that I took the course Pass/Fail but also that I hadn't found my way early enough to change my major.

Anyway, this week I noticed I was experiencing a strong pull toward the visual arts.

This winter I was trying my best to enlist my mom for a Detroit field trip to the Museum of Contemporary Arts Detroit to catch the Julie Mehretu exhibit. It looks like I'm going to miss that one, but Alex Melamid is having his first solo exhibition there, opening February 8th. Guess what it's called???

HOLY HIP-HOP!


Just to be clear, Alex Melamid is a Russian artist a little bit older than my mother who got the idea to paint portraits of guys like Russell Simmons, Common, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg from his son Dan -- aka "Dan the Man" , so this hip-hop stuff is kinda new to him -- he just painted what he saw. I am really looking forward to seeing it live.

Sunday I made it over to the Geffen Contemporary at MOCA for the Murakami exhibition.


This is the sculpture that I found most disturbing:

















This sculpture was one of my favorites:



I really wanted a pink DOB t-shirt but the gift shop didn't sell any!

Anyway tho -- I love being an artsy chick. It's fun :-)

No comments: