Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Dream

By the time I interviewed Atlanta singer/songwriter The Dream this August, I was already a fan of his catchy single "Shawty is A Ten" (Shawty is The Shiiiiit). When he told me that his first album Love/Hate would have a "Prince"type sound, I was even more excited.

In case you missed it I'm posting the video for the single (big ups to Sharaya!)





As well as the new video for his second single "Falsetto"



While I love both songs -- and I think it's great to see The Dream getting some shine (c'mon now, it was getting a bit bland with R.Kelly and Ne-Yo actin' like the only songwriter/producers in the game) I have to say that he's taken the Prince influence extra literally.

Matter fact, I've started calling homie Prince-lite.

It would be one thing if it was just me, but while discussing the album with another homie of mine, he pointed out that "Fast Car" sounds like a straight up cover (is it? does anybody know?)...

Then later today after Grammy nominations were announced, another friend of mine raised some objections over "Umbrella" getting a Song of the Year nod. The award is a songwriter's prize and I've heard more than a few folks joke about the simplicity of "Umbrella" personally I love the song, loved the Chris Brown remix, and cracked the fuck up when a good friend of mine told me if I kept fuckin around they wouldn't let me under their umbrella ella ella eh eh (cheesy but out of the blue it was funny as hell).

Anyway, just some thoughts on my mind, lemme know what you think. Despite me dubbing him Prince Lite I'm still gonna support. Just let it be known "Falsetto" is nowhere close to "Adore" and The Dream is gonna have to keep switching his style up if he doesn't want to turn into an echo cliche.

That's all for now. Holla.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

J,

Dream is an interesting type of an artist. He's the type that you have to qualify your statements about him. He's got a great upside but you could see him slip down and fall hard onto his downside.

Overall, your assessment was on point. Dude is hella influenced and that's my biggest beef with him too! As a matter of fact, a lot of talented artists these dayz are just taking the whole influence thing too far.

I'm like "Ok you were influenced by dude, but you ain't gotta bite his whole style, song topics, piano playin style, inflections and all that!" yeesh!!!! WTF?!?!?! GTFOH!!!!

That being said, The Dream is talented dude. I also find him hella repetitive and possibly more influenced by Kells (vocally) than by Prince (musically).

No hate, I hope dude has a long and fruitful career but biting is not just one of my pet peeves it usta be the worst crime in Hip Hop.

How'd Ghost say it on Iron Man? Oh yeah, "BE ORIGINAL!"

Respect,
AD