Monday, December 3, 2007

Samplology Does it Again


The homie DJ Parler hit me up this weekend with some new goodies -- specificially the latest in his Samplology mixtape series which are mixed compilations of music along with the original blends that inspired them.

Parler has previously blessed me with The J. Dilla Chapter and The K.West Chapter of Samplology and now he's continuing the legacy with A Gangster Chapter. Inspired by Jay-Z's American Gangster, this phase blends the soundtracks songs with the original samples used to create them.

The tape's official release date isn't actually until tomorrow -- the same day as Jay-Z's birthday and the release date of the acappella release of American Gangster -- but fortunately I got my fix this weekend...

Since DJ Neil Armstrong did it way back when and ?uestlove dropped his sample lesson a few years ago I've become really fascinated with figuring out samples so I love stuff like this. To be honest with you my Samples off Late Registration get far more burn than Ye's version.

Parler's Samplology tapes run with the inspirational disclaimer: "This compilation isn't intended to substitute the actual CD nor its samples, but to complement the album and excite those in search of good music. I'm hoping that after hearing my mixes, people will want to dig deeper."

SWEET.

No comments: